Adoptive cell therapy employing natural killer group 2D (NKG2D) chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-modified T cells has demonstrated preclinical efficacy in several model systems, including hematological and solid tumors. We present comprehensive data on manufacturing development and clinical production of autologous NKG2D CAR T cells for treatment of acute myeloid leukemia and multiple myeloma (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT02203825). An NKG2D CAR was generated by fusing native full-length human NKG2D to the human CD3ζ cytoplasmic signaling domain. NKG2D naturally associates with native costimulatory molecule DAP10, effectively generating a second-generation CAR against multiple ligands upregulated during malignant transformation including MIC-A, MIC-B and the UL-16 binding proteins.
CAR T cells were infused fresh after a 9-day process wherein OKT3-activated T cells were genetically modified with replication-defective gamma-retroviral vector and expanded ex vivo for 5 days with recombinant human interleukin-2.
Despite sizable interpatient variation in originally collected cells, release criteria, including T-cell expansion and purity (median 98%), T-cell transduction (median 66% CD8+ T cells), and functional activity against NKG2D ligand-positive cells, were met for 100% of healthy donors and patients enrolled and collected. There was minimal carryover of non–T cells, particularly malignant cells; both effector memory and central memory cells were generated, and inflammatory cytokines such as granulocyte colony-stimulating factor, RANTES, interferon-γ and tumor necrosis factor-α were selectively up-regulated.
The process resulted in production of required cell doses for the first-in-human phase I NKG2D CAR T clinical trial and provides a robust, flexible base for further optimization of NKG2D CAR T-cell manufacturing.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Cytotherapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- How chimeric antigen receptor design affects adoptive T cell therapy.J Cell Physiol. 2016; 231: 2590-2598
- Engineering CAR-T cells: design concepts.Trends Immunol. 2015; 36: 494-502
- Design and development of therapies using chimeric antigen receptor-expressing T cells.Immunol Rev. 2014; 257: 107-126
- The basic principles of chimeric antigen receptor design.Cancer Discov. 2013; 3: 388-398
- New strategies for the treatment of solid tumors with CAR-T cells.Int J Biol Sci. 2016; 12: 718-729
- Chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy for solid tumors.Mol Ther Oncolytics. 2016; 3: 16006
- NK cells and cancer immunosurveillance.Oncogene. 2008; 27: 5932-5943
- NKG2D ligands as therapeutic targets.Cancer Immun. 2013; 13: 8
- NKG2D CARs as cell therapy for cancer.Cancer J. 2014; 20: 156-159
- Chimeric NK-receptor-bearing T cells mediate antitumor immunotherapy.Blood. 2005; 106: 1544-1551
- CAR T cell therapy: a game changer in cancer treatment.J Immunol Res. 2016; 2016 (5474602)
- Driving CAR-based T-cell therapy to success.Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2014; 9: 50-56
- Antibody-modified T cells: CARs take the front seat for hematologic malignancies.Blood. 2014; 123: 2625-2635
- T cells expressing CD19 chimeric antigen receptors for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in children and young adults: a phase 1 dose-escalation trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 517-528
- Chimeric antigen receptor T cells for sustained remissions in leukemia.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 1507-1517
- Chimeric antigen receptor T cells persist and induce sustained remissions in relapsed refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7: 303ra139
- Efficacy and toxicity management of 19-28z CAR T cell therapy in B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia.Sci Transl Med. 2014; 6: 224ra25
- Translational Implications for off-the-shelf immune cells expressing chimeric antigen receptors.Mol Ther. 2016; 24: 1178-1186
- Persistence and efficacy of second generation CAR T cell against the LeY antigen in acute myeloid leukemia.Mol Ther. 2013; 21: 2122-2129
- Allogeneic T cells that express an anti-CD19 chimeric antigen receptor induce remissions of B-cell malignancies that progress after allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation without causing graft-versus-host disease.J Clin Oncol. 2016; 34: 1112-1121
- Eradication of B-lineage cells and regression of lymphoma in a patient treated with autologous T cells genetically engineered to recognize CD19.Blood. 2010; 116: 4099-4102
- NKG2D receptor regulates human effector T-cell cytokine production.Blood. 2011; 117: 6571-6581
- Optimizing the production of suspension cells using the G-Rex “M” series.Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev. 2014; 1: 14015
- Clinical manufacturing of CAR T cells: foundation of a promising therapy.Mol Ther Oncolytics. 2016; 3: 16015
- Manufacturing validation of biologically functional T cells targeted to CD19 antigen for autologous adoptive cell therapy.J Immunother. 2009; 32: 169-180
- Early memory phenotypes drive T cell proliferation in patients with pediatric malignancies.Sci Transl Med. 2016; 8: 320ra3
- Committing CAR T cells to memory.Sci Transl Med. 2016; 8: 370ec205
- CCR7+ selected gene-modified T cells maintain a central memory phenotype and display enhanced persistence in peripheral blood in vivo.J Immunother Cancer. 2017; 5: 14
- Sorting through subsets: which T-cell populations mediate highly effective adoptive immunotherapy?.J Immunother. 2012; 35: 651-660
- Different subsets of T cells, memory, effector functions, and CAR-T immunotherapy.Cancers (Basel). 2016; 8
- Collaboration of chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-expressing T cells and host T cells for optimal elimination of established ovarian tumors.Oncoimmunology. 2013; 2: e23564
- Chimeric antigen receptor T cells shape myeloid cell function within the tumor microenvironment through IFN-gamma and GM-CSF.J Immunol. 2012; 188: 6389-6398
Published online: July 02, 2018
Accepted: May 2, 2018
Received: January 11, 2018
© 2018 International Society for Cellular Therapy. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.